Links included here are relevant to Healthy Skepticism's field of interest. However, we do not always agree with the contents.
Highly recommended sites | Blogs | HAI Health Action International and contacts | Internal Company Documents | ISDB International Society of Drug Bulletins and members | Legal issues | Non-Government Organisations
Please notify Robyn Clothier if any of the following links require updating.
- Gezonde Scepsis is an initiative of IMV, Instituut voor Verantwoord Medicijngebruik (Dutch Institute for Rational Use of Medicine). IVM aims for proper, efficient, safe and economic use of medicine. Gezonde scepsis aims to shed light on the widespread but sometimes inappropriate and misleading marketing influence of pharmaceutical companies.
- No Free Lunch (USA)
- No Free Lunch (UK)
- No grazie, pago io! [No thanks, I'm satisfied!] No Free Lunch (Italy)
- Faculty of Medicine of the University of Bologna: Conflict of Interest (Italy)
- Gezonde Scepsis (Healthy Skepticism, Netherlands - Dutch with some English)
- Health Action International (Europe)
- Social Audit (UK)
- Therapeutics Initiative (Canada)
- BUKO Pharma-Kampagne (Germany) In English
- MEZIS - Mein Essen zahl ich selbst [I’ll pay for my meal myself] No Free Lunch (Germany) In German
- La revue Prescrire (France, in French)
- Prescrire in English (France, in English)
- Prescrire International (France, in English)
- FORMINDEP ... pour une formation et une information médicales indépendantes au service des seuls professionnels de santé et des patients [for independent continuing medical education and information at the service of health professionals and patients only] (France, in French)
- American Medical Students Association PharmFree Campaign
- PharmedOut (USA)
- Australian Medicines Handbook
- E-Drug (Essential Drugs Conference)
- ISDB (International Society of Drug Bulletins)
- PRNWeb (Malaysia)
- Public Citizen Health Research Group (USA)
- Health Information Research Unit (Canada)
- Health Matters (UK) and Health Matters reports on pharmaceutical issues
- HealthWatch UK
- Personal experiences of health and illness (UK)
- The Network for Consumer Protection (Pakistan)
- PMLive (Pharmaceutical Marketing journal) (UK)
- Arznei-telegramm (Germany in German with one article each month in English)
- Alliance for Human Research Protection (USA)
- PBS Frontline: Dangerous Prescription (USA)
- Influence at Work (USA)
- Unbiased Medicine / Unbiased Psychiatry (USA)
- Thomas J Moore's Website (USA)
- PsychSearch.net ( page on Teenscreen)(USA)
- Compliance Doc, Inc (A comprehensive search of FDA Warning Letters and Regulations)
- PharmAware (medical students in the UK)
- The Prescription Project (USA)
- Consumer Reports AdWatch (USA)
- The Forest of Rhetoric
- Medwatcher Japan In Japanese
- Medwatcher Japan In English (the official Japanese name: "Yakugai Ombudsperson"; "yakugai" means drug-induced disaster)
- Honest Medicine: My Dream for the Future (a personal site by Julia Schopick )
- Bonkers Institute for Nearly Genuine Research (medical satire)
- Corporations and Health Watch (Corporations and Health Project at Hunter College, City University of New York)
- Pharma Marketing Blog
- Hooked: Ethics, Medicine, and Pharma
- Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry: A Closer Look
- Furious Seasons
- The Carlat Psychiatry Blog
- Scientific Misconduct Blog
- Health Care Renewal
- Drug Wonks
- Prescribing Advice for GPs
- In the Pipeline
- World Pharma News.net
- Dose of Digital
- Gary Schwitzer's HealthNewsReview Blog
- Health Watched
Health Action International
HAI is a non-profit, global network of health, development, consumer and other public interest groups in more than 70 countries working for a more rational use of medicinal drugs. HAI represents the interests of consumers in drug policy and believes that all drugs marketed should be acceptably safe, effective, affordable and meet real medical needs.
- BUKO-Pharmakampagne, Germany
- Consumer Project on Technology, USA
- Declaration de Berne, Switzerland (in German)
DES Action, Canada
DES Action Canada is a national non-profit consumer organization whose purpose is to identify, educate, provide support to, and advocate for the people exposed to the drug DES. It is the only organization in the country alerting Canadians to the ongoing health risks related to DES. The organization also works toward the prevention of similar public health problems, particularly in the field of reproductive health care.
- Federconsumatori, Italy
- Corporate Accountability International ( fomerly INFACT, Canada )
- Instituto Mario Negri, Italy
- Public Citizen Health Research Group, USA
Social Audit, UK the publishing arm of a UK Registered Charity, Public Interest Research Centre Ltd (PIRC).
The name Social Audit derived by analogy: "if there are financial audits, why should there not also be ‘social audits’ – regular reports on the way any company is performing its duty not just to shareholders, but to workers, consumers, indeed everyone affected by what that body does?"
Founded in 1972, PIRC is a strictly independent enterprise, thanks largely to grants from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust, also through sale of publications. Our principal legal object is "to procure" that organisations of all kinds "properly and adequate serve the interests and needs of the public generally (or any section of the public for whose benefit service or assistance they exist or are supposed to exist)."
PIRC states that "Our size is in inverse proportion to the breadth of our terms, therefore our work is very focused. Mostly it concerns the web of organisations at the centre of power in pharmaceutical medicine, which pretty much decide how medicines are used and to what effect."
- The Hesperian Foundation, USA
Drug Industry Document Archive ( University of California, San Fransisco) . The Drug Industry Document Archive (DIDA) houses about 1000 documents drawn primarily from United States ex. rel. David Franklin vs. Parke-Davis, Division of Warner-Lambert Company (now owned by Pfizer, Inc). The litigation concerned the marketing of Neurontin (gabapentin). (See About the Project for more details.) DIDA also contains documents on the marketing of Vioxx (rofecoxib) from the public records of the Minority Office of the Congressional Committee on Government Reform. The documents in this Archive focus primarily on the marketing of Neurontin (gabapentin) and Vioxx (rofecoxib), and include internal documents from Parke-Davis, Merck & Co. and correspondence with outside physicians and organizations, such as medical education and communications companies and advertising firms. Also included are regulatory and legal documents, court filings and depositions.
New documents will be added as they become available.
ISDB (International Society of Drug Bulletins)
The International Society of Drug Bulletins (ISDB) was founded in 1986. It aims to promote the international exchange of information of good quality on drugs and therapeutics, to encourage and to assist the development of professionally independent drug bulletins in all countries and facilitate cooperation among bulletins.
Australian Prescriber is an independent review of therapeutics. It aims to provide short direct and didactic reviews on a range of topics which will assist the readers in their professional duties.
Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin
Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin is published in the UK by Which? Ltd (a subsidiary of Consumers' Association). An eight page, monthly bulletin, it gives rigorous and independent evaluations of drugs and other treatments, and is aimed at doctors and pharmacists.
- 1-Stop Baycol Lawyer Legal-based site that provides comprehensive information on the Baycol (cerivastatin) recall, the indications for Baycol, associated health risks, and important online resources. In addition, 1-Stop Baycol Lawyer provides legal rights and remedies to anyone who has experienced serious side effects or conditions while taking Baycol.
- Vickery & Waldner LLP, Houston Texas: Prozac Information
- Consumers International (CI)
- International Network for the Rational Use of Drugs (INRUD) was established in 1989 to design, test, and disseminate effective strategies to improve the way drugs are prescribed, dispensed, and used.
- Centro Studi GISED is a non profit organization born "to develop independent clinical research" in Dermatology and to promote an Evidence based approach to the clinical management of skin disorders".
- Teaching-aids At Low Cost (TALC) is a unique charity whose main objective is to promote the health of children and advance medical knowledge and teaching in the UK and throughout the world by providing and developing educational material.
- Evidence Update is a two-page summary of a Cochrane Review of healthcare interventions relevant to people in low-income and middle income-countries. Each Evidence Update is prepared by a member of the Effective Health Care Research Consortium in collaboration with the Australasian Cochrane Centre and is updated every time a review update is published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (part of The Cochrane Library). Consortium collaborators in China, Nigeria, and Russia are working to translate the Evidence Update.
Only Healthy Skepticism members can see and make comments on this page.